Monday, January 30, 2012

C25K D1 - Done!

So, I joined a gym a few weeks ago. It was the best thing that I've done for myself in a while. I've gotten stuck in mom mode and rarely ever do anything for myself - like blogging for instance. My "family" blog is up to date and about as current as I can make it for now but this one hasn't been updated in a while. This did start out as MY blog and it will continue to be just about me.

Several very wise moms I know (or have read about) have advised me to take time out for myself. One day when the kids are out of the house, I'll be sitting around wondering why I'm fat and stuck in a wheel chair and I'll have to look back and see that it's because I never took time for me. Taking time for me has had it's advantages (1.5 UNINTERRUPTED hours at the gym where no one is screaming at me to fix them a 'butter' sandwich or screaming for my boob) and it's disadvantages (less personal time with L and piles of mess are slowly stacking up in my house, again). BUT...I've committed to taking care of myself. It was about 4 weeks or so ago that I joined a gym. It hurt a little emotionally, because I was scared of being laughed at or looking funny. Here's that fat girl again. Man, I miss being "skinny." But I talked to T on the way there and just bit the bullet. My second or so time going, I met up with one of their personal trainers. She got me started on a pretty solid routine with the half marathon goal in mind. My shoulders are still killing me from that weight machine and even though I thought that I'd soon get adjusted, they seem to be the one part of my body that is still fighting me.

Today, I got up at 6 (5:55) because I get sad when I lost time with L (but it means that both kiddos will sleep through mom time - dangit). Got to the gym and it was about as busy as it normally was. I set myself up on the treadmill the furthest back and in a hidden corner (not really) to start my Couch to 5K training. I'm not paying for the program but using what they put on their site as a guide. I figure that if I'm going to start training for a half marathon, I should actually get my butt trained for a 5K first. This is a good time frame, though, because the Youth Villages 5K (the first one I ran last time) is about at the 12 week time frame from now so I'd have plenty of time to get myself trained and ready. Anyway, I digressed from my initial point...why did I get a treadmill in a hidden corner you ask? Well, let's get personal. I'm a breastfeeding mom who did not get emptied out this morning and I had this vision of milk spots on my shirt as I ran. This way, I wasn't on display to every single attractive person who walked through the door (because I sure wasn't attractive). The good news (or bad news) is that there were no leaks. We'll see how everything works out once C wakes up. I have this fear that exercise will deplete my supply. I've heard people say that they never had any trouble but I've also heard that women who start a exercise regimen take a significant drop in supply. I really don't have a significant amount of milk to drop so that would mean no milk where I come from.

Anyway...so I finished! I did about 1.5 miles (including a 5 minute warm up and a 4 minute cool down) running at about a 4.0 speed and no incline and walking at about 3.2. It's not at the 16 minute mile required to register for the Disney but it's the start and I'm going to take it. I'm definitely going to have to get a new pair of shoes. My 2 year old NB 993's are just not going to cut it and I'd hate to injure myself before I even get started. I can already feel a blister starting on the back of my heel and I was getting shin splints as I ran. Don't worry, it's on my agenda for the week.

So that's the update for now. I'll try to come back more often but we'll see. Life just gets in the way sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment