Sunday, September 5, 2010

FINALLY!!

Today went well! I met Lisa (my WW leader) at the door and she asked me how things were going. I told her how I'd been discouraged with the lack of weight loss over the last 5 weeks. To me, 1.6 lbs is hardly a decent amount of weight to lose in 5 weeks.

The receptionist congratulated me on a good loss for the week.
R: Good Loss!
me: (in my head)The last time you said that, it was 1.4 lbs and I'd hardly call that good for a first week. I stood there making small talk while she had my book.
R:What was your starting weight again?
Me: 248.8 (Geeze, how much did I lose?)
R: Well, then I need to give you your 50lb weight
Me: I've already lost 93 lbs, I have all the awards already -- I had a baby, got fat again.
R: Oh, well congrats then (on the baby)
Me: (thanks...how much did I lose)
R: You had a good week
Me: (you already said that)
R: 4.6 lbs, Congrats!
Me: Thank you thank you thank you!!

Lisa recognized me (in a weird way, I really needed that) in front of everyone and it felt good. Sure, I'd lost 4.6 lbs in 3 weeks, but a 1.5 weekly average isn't too bad. So let's discuss this...the first 2 weeks, I'd religiously tracked every single thing I ate (and lost 1.6 lbs total). Week 3 consisted of 4 days of eating out for every meal. Week 4 was bad all around...and last week, Week 5, I ate responsibly (and might I add, did not track anything) and lost the majority of the weight. While I'd hoped for me, an average of 1 lb a week isn't too bad. It's what I expected the norm to be.

Before the meeting started, the lady next to me and I talked about exercise. She asked me if I had done Zumba. I told her that I'd heard several friends who bragged about how much fun it was, but I personally hadn't. She has a gym membership that she doesn't use. She told me about how she has two small children and finds it hard to work out. We shared our struggles with finding me time. It was nice to finally have someone to really talk to in the meetings. (I'd talked to people before but nothing related to the struggles I'd been having). Lisa's topic for the meeting was struggles with exercise. She and I laughed...our own personal inside joke. The whole group shared the benefits of exercise and no one mentioned how hard it is to get involved in a hard core program. There are not many people who have small children consuming their time. It's discouraging when you hear everyone talk about their exercise regiment (none of which mention having a toddler pulling at the leg while working out to a video or walking around the block). Plus, I HATE exercise (sidenote: I enjoy the elliptical machine but can't afford one of my own). Lisa said that if you don't like doing it, you won't do it (and she's right), but one thing she said to me really hit home. Her mom was a GREAT mom...she did everything for the family (cooking, cleaning, love) but she never took time for herself. Now, she's elderly and disabled with the means to travel but she can't. So, I'm going to try my hardest to take care of myself so that I can take care of everyone as long as I can. It's not going to be easy at all...heck, taking care of a toddler is easier than taking the time to take care of myself. I'm going to try to figure out a routine that includes walking for an hour a day -- hey, it's a start.

So, I'm happily back on track and trying to figure out how to take care of me. BTW...I've met my first weight loss goal! I'm under 190!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!! That's definitely an average weekly weight loss you can maintain and it will add up soo fast!

    ReplyDelete